Miami Wind Symphony Honors Academy
If you are a passionate music student, the Honors Academy is for you! The Honors Academy is your opportunity for students that want to soar in their growth as a musician. MWSHA seeks to be the premier honors wind ensemble for high school youth in the South Florida metropolitan area. Its purpose is to provide a positive musical experience in an artistic environment for advanced instrumentalists in wind and percussion performance. Additionally, to supplement the outstanding music education programs in the public and private schools in the region The Honors Academy seeks to provide an environment for music students under 20 years old to perform the masterworks with high quality musicians in first class venues with the Miami Wind Symphony. Members of this organization will perform high quality wind band literature and will be coached on individual instruments by members of the Miami Wind Symphony. Conductor, Rodester Brandon, has planned a full season of concerts each semester in conjunction with the Miami Wind Symphony. The MWSHA rehearses and performs grade five and six (collegiate and professional) original wind band literature composed over a wide span of stylistic compositional periods. As an entity, we plan to be one of the most visible ambassadors of culture and youth performance for Dade County and State of Florida.
The ensemble will meet weekly on Sunday in two locations, one in the South, at Miami Dade College Kendall Campus and one in the North at Krop Senior High School.
The first semester introductory cost is $25. In subsequent semesters scholarship will be available for students who demonstrate an extraordinary desire to participate.
- Enhance your artistic and academic resume
- Perform with the Miami Wind Symphony
- Study and perform artistic repertoire
- Receive experience individual professional coaching
- Meet and perform with new friends of like-minded artistic achievers
Auditions date will be:
- Saturday, September 9th at the Krop in the North
- Sunday, September 10th at 3:00 pm at the Miami Dade Kendall Campus in the South
- All instrumentalists will be asked to perform:
- As many of the 12 major scales as possible
- Perform two solo excerpts that best represent their ability for their instrument one slow/lyrical and one fast/technical